Happy Vishu!

N heres a glimpse of our 'Vishu Kani'!If you want to know more about 'Vishu Kani' ~~ Jump over to this link ~~ it does describe in detail abt Vishu and what a 'Vishnu Kani' is typically adorned with!


Two interesting observations abt 'Vishu Kani'

>> 'Vishu' is also the 'Harvest Festival' of Kerala ~~ so obviously the 'Vishu Kani' will be brimming with the 'produces' from the fields. So in keeping with the tradition(Thou I live in a concrete Jungle far far away from the fields), the urli even today is filled upto the brim with all kinds of veggies n fruits(K I know oranges n grapes arent really found in kerala!) but jus that instead of picking them from the field one pays thru the nose (Anybody wanna guess how much that half dried up jack fruit costs in B'lore market!)

The Yellow flowers that you will see v. generously scattered around(look around the small mirror to the Right hand side of the pic) is locally called 'Konna'. Now I dono whats the significance of this flower in 'Vishu Kani' ~~ but many hardcore mallus will tell u that 'vishu Kani' is incomplete without a bunch of 'Konna'. I did try googling up to find the reason but dint find any except that its the 'State Flower of Kerala'(!) This again surprises me as I have hardly seen it growing in bunches anywhere in kerala and (beat this) if it werent for the hue-n-cry made on Vishu day, I wouldnt even know that this flower exists! Somebody help me iwth this story plz?


Linking this to abc Wednesday N is for New Year(n Vishu is New Year in Malayalam calendar)

6 comments:

  1. happy NEW year!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very colorful!

    Hope you can come by and see my NooK, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are all mystified by the rituals that surround some holidays. I always enjoy Chinese New Year because suddenly citrus fruits appear at the maket that are unavailable at any other time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy Vishu!! Kani looks awesome, so colorful, I liked that Konna story :)

    ReplyDelete