Ramasseri Idlis....

Idlis is a staple breakfast in almost all south Indian Homes. Each region has its own slight variation - - from your regular idlis to Kushboo Idli to Thatte Idlis. A good 30 years of living in South India and just as you think you have sampled the entire plethora of Idlis  - there comes another that is subtly different from everything else you have tasted...

'Ramasseri Idli'...... from the village of Ramasseri a few kms off Palaghat district in Kerala. These idlis seem more like steamed version of Mini dosas - So thin and flat are they! Here is a picture of the idli we had for breakfast one of those days.......



Am told that in this part of Kerala, Ramasseri Idli is a regular item during feasts at home and hotels. But of course, we had to drive the extra 10 -15 kms to Ramaserri village and sample the 'original'(cue to roll eyes)


You could read more about Ramasseri Idli and its cooking procedure here


Linking this to AtoZ challenge - I is for Idli. N thus we head off to Palaghat and its interiors for the next few days.....

20 comments:

  1. yum

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/04/impressive-performances/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This is something new!! And here we in north, usually have the regular idlis only! SIGH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love idlis and these do look good. What's the chutney - the red one? And did you tease us by not providing the link you promised?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make idlis regularly. I have never heard of this variety and my husband is from Palakkad! ;) Next visit, I know what I need to eat :D

    ~Shailaja's latest A~Z post

    ReplyDelete
  5. When one lives or travels in South India, one realises that there are so many types of idlis and ways of serving them. First time I've heard of Ramassery Idli.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pic is very tempting ! never heard of this idli .. thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love idlis, especially on weekends :) Never heard of this variety though, in fact I only knew regular idlis, rava idlis and kanchivaram idlis. But these look so tempting :)

    Beauty Interprets, Expresses, Manifests the Eternal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pic of a new type of idli :) I had rava idli today, love those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idli looks delicious... Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I particularly don't enjoy idlis :P P.S

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  11. For health conscious people idli is an ideal dish...and I think this thin idli will be light to eat and digest....tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i hate idlis! but maybe just maybe dis will be better than the regular ones!

    http://swathishenoy.blogspot.in/2014/04/i-for-inspiration.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried this and have no idea what it tastes like - but the picture makes it look yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not know about Idlis, but u made me curious now, with your well written post and great pictures.. :-) Nice one, Meena

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Idlis...but never had this kind! Yummy pic Meena :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting. I have never heard of it before but sure would love to have a taste. It looks pretty good! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm more into Dosas than idlis :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have wanted to have this ever since my marriage to Palakkad :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooh! We call this tatte idli! Tatte meaning plate in Kannada!
    Looks yumm Meenz!

    ReplyDelete